Skip to main content Skip to footer
Hokies Rally to Top `Cats in Game Two, Sweep Doubleheader

April 6, 2003

Final Stats

BLACKSBURG, VA. - In game two of Sunday's Big East doubleheader at English Field in Blacksburg, Va., the Villanova baseball team was defeated by Virginia Tech, 7-5, as the Hokies rallied from a one run deficit to score three in the eighth en route to the two-run win.

Villanova (7-17, 2-6) got on the board early in game two, scoring twice in the first inning to take a 2-0 advantage. Centerfielder Chris Graziano reach on an error to start off the inning and went to second as second baseman Danny Poydenis was hit by a pitch. After a sacrifice by designated hitter Adrian Schau which moved both runners up, rightfielder Mitch Mitchell and shortstop Brian Trotta posted consecutive RBI singles to give the `Cats a 2-0 lead.

In the bottom of the second inning, the Hokies (20-8, 6-1) cut the Villanova lead in half. Third baseman Chris Stanton singled with two outs in the inning to score shortstop Spencer Harris and cut the Wildcat advantage to 2-1.

Virginia Tech took advantage of a Villanova error in the bottom of the fourth inning to knock in the tying run. With a runner on third and one out, David Londrey hit a ground ball to third which third baseman Danny Poydenis was unable to handle allowing Chris Winderfeldt to score the tying run to make it a 2-2 game.

The Wildcats regained the lead in the top of the sixth inning as first baseman Ryan Crammer and catcher Greg Fater each notched RBI singles to give Villanova a 4-2 advantage.

The Hokies would stage a rally of their own in the bottom half of the inning. With shortstop Spencer Harris on first and two outs, leftfielder Sheldon Adams tripled to right center to score Harris and cut the margin to 4-3. One batter later, Stanton singled through the right side to score Adams and tie the game up at 4-4.



In the top of the seventh, the scrappy Wildcat offense showed they wouldn't quit. Poydenis singled to lead off the frame, went to second on a walk by Schau, and scored one batter later on a sacrifice fly by Mitchell to give the `Cats the lead once again at 5-4.

Junior lefty Mike Ciccotelli came on in relief of starter Tom Kandybowicz with a man at second and one out in the top of the eighth inning. With two outs for Virginia Tech, pinch hitter Philip Beall was hit by a pitch and Stanton singled to short to load the bases. Second baseman Marc Tugwell followed with a single through the right side. Two runs came around and leftfielder Brian Newbold charged the ball but bobbled it and then threw the ball away allowing all three runners to score. The three runs gave the Hokies a 7-5 lead after eight innings.

Closer Matt Dalton came on in the ninth and closed the deal for his ninth save of the season.

The Wildcats will get back into action on Tuesday, hosting St. Peter's at 3:00 p.m., at the Villanova Ballpark at Plymouth.