Fall Tryouts will be held on Tuesday, September 19th from 6:00 - 7:30 pm in the Jake Nevin Fieldhouse Gymnasium.
Open practices will be held on Tuesday, September 12th and Thursday, September 14th from 6:00 - 7:30 pm in the Jake Nevin Fieldhouse Gymnasium.
There are two opportunities throughout the year to try out for our team. Once at the beginning of the school year and again at the end of the spring semester. Prior to tryouts, potential new members are encouraged (but not required) to attend open practices held by the team. Our open practices are only for students currently attending Villanova. However, any current student or incoming freshman (with proof of acceptance) is eligible to attend tryout. Tryout attire should consist of athletic clothing with cheerleading shoes or sneakers. Absolutely no jewelry should be worn at any time. The judging panel will consist of our current coaching staff. Participants are scored based on tumbling and stunting skill, cheer and fight song performance, attitude and their interview with the coaches. Tryout results will be emailed out by the coaches during the week following tryouts.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you are trying out.
- Complete the insurance waiver to be submitted at tryouts.
- Complete the Prospective Cheerleader Information form to be submitted at tryouts.
- Incoming freshmen must bring proof of acceptance to Villanova (acceptance letter or printout of acceptance email) to tryouts (spring tryouts only).
- Perform the cheers and fight song that can be found in the tryout demonstration video
- All participants must demonstrate their best running and standing tumbling skills as well as a variety of stunts that will be taught at tryouts.
- Females who tryout must perform two Villanova sidelines and the Villanova fight song.
Want to be considered but cannot attend tryouts? No problem! Please send a video to email@example.com including your best jump, your best running and tumbling pass, a demonstration of two sideline cheers, one dance and a demonstration of your stunting abilities.
1) Introduction from our head coach Jamie Shroy
2) Stretch out and warm up
3) Tumbling warm up. Perform best standing tumbling and best running tumbling pass for the judges (light spotting is offered by coaches).
4) Partner stunting. Participants are observed by judges the entire time. Participants may be asked to perform their best stunt for the judges at the end of the stunting period.
5) Participants who have not previously been on the team will have a brief individual interview with the coaches.
6) (Females only) Brief review of sideline cheers and fight song (you are expected to already be familiar with them). The cheers and fight song will be performed for the judges in small groups.
Open practices are held by the Villanova cheerleading team in the weeks leading up to fall and spring tryouts. Potential new members are not required to attend open practice, however, it is strongly encouraged. Only current Villanova students are eligible to attend. Open practices offer potential new members an opportunity to familiarize themselves with our stunting technique, work on tumbling skills (spotting is offered), get to know our team and coaches, and ask questions about our program. For more information about open practice, please reach out to our recruitment chair Nikki Winschuh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location and Parking:
- Villanova University is located at 800 E. Lancaster Ave Villanova, PA 19085. (Find directions here.)
- Hotel Information and Campus map
- Tryouts and open practice are held in St. Mary's Gym (building #48 on the campus map.)
- Participants can park in the parking garage on the corner of Lancaster and Ithan (St. Mary's gym is about a 15 minute walk from the parking garage).